The dogs, buns and salsa – YUM!
Pro-tip: Serve everything off a wooden cutting board for a rustic BBQ theme.
The whole meal with sides: Mini mac and cheese, mini corn breads, and blackberry cobbler for dessert!
Chicago Style Hot Dog Salsa
A classic topping for hot dogs, this salsa combines fresh cucumbers, spicy peppers for heat and tangy tomatoes. I've been told that if you're a true Chicago native, you only put this on your hot dogs. No ketchup!
- 1/4 c thinly sliced red onion
- 1 Persian cucumber, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 c quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 c thinly sliced banana peppers
- 1/2 t celery salt
- 1/4 c sweet pickle relish
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and toss. May be prepared several hours ahead of time.
This recipe makes 2 cups. Adapted from Justin Chapple of Food & Wine Magazine http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chicago-style-salsa