Let me guess. You got an Instant Pot for Christmas last year and it’s been sitting in it’s box ever since – never used. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard that – and I’m on mission to get that box opened! This delicious Instant Pot recipe – Creamy Tortellini Chicken Soup – will convince you that it’s worth learning how to put this misunderstood appliance to good use. Combining rich sun-dried tomatoes, ready-made tortellini, chicken and spinach, this dish has it all in one pot, which is a perfect week night dinner for a family with busy schedules.
I’ve also teamed up with a few of my friends to bring you more Instant Pot recipes that you will love! Scroll down to the bottom of this post to see all of the great recipes that you’ll want to add to your rotation.
Let’s get back to that unopened Instant Pot. While it does have a lot of functions, it’s not that complicated, once you understand what it can do. And, most importantly, the “pressure” cook part is not scary, thanks to the multiple safety components of the newer Instant Pots.
Here’s the Instant Pot version that I have:
One of the things I love about this Instant Pot recipe is that is a one-pot meal. It’s got pasta, protein and veggies all in this dish, so you really don’t need any side dishes to compliment it. This is perfect for a weeknight dinner – I have served this for my beloved Grandma Night Dinner on Tuesday nights and it never disappoints. There’s only one dish to clean, and it makes about 4-5 servings, so it’s really ideal for a busy family mid-week meal.
For another easy hack, here are the giant forks I use to shred the chicken. They’re really called turkey forks, so they’re also great for transferring large roasts and poultry.
Instant Pot Creamy Tortellini Chicken Soup
- Instant Pot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-5 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 c dry white wine (like pinot grigio)
- 2 1/2 c low sodium chicken broth
- 28 oz. fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp each dried basil, dried oregano, red chile flakes
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 10 oz refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 1/2 c heavy cream
- 5 oz fresh spinach
- 1 c grated parmesan
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Turn Instant Pot to saute function, high temperature. Saute onions in olive oil until tranluscent, about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add wine and scrape up bits from bottom of pan. Add chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, chicken breasts and all spices. Put lid on to seal.
- Cancel saute function and turn on pressure function, high. Cook for 12 minutes. Release pressure manually. Shred chicken with 2 forks right in pot.
- Turn on saute function. Add tortellini and heavy cream, gently stir and cook for 4-5 minutes until heated through.
- Fold in spinach gently until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Serve into bowls, top with grated parmesan cheese.
This Instant pot recipe is even great the next day for leftovers. After one day, however, the tortellini may start to get too soft, so one day is best if you’re going to keep any for leftovers.
Here are a few quick substitutions you could make:
- Use kale in lieu of spinach
- Use coconut milk instead of cream (will have a slightly nutty flavor)
- Omit wine and use chicken broth to scrape up bits
If you love tomatoes and you love soup, you’ll want to see my version of the famous Nordstrom Cafe Tomato Basil Soup. I’ve adapted it for the Instant Pot and it’s healthier too, with only half the cream of the original.
My friends and I have you covered for the next few weeks of Instant Pot recipes – check out their posts and beautiful feeds below. I know you’ll find inspiration for not only recipes, but home decor and entertaining ideas.
To Have To Host / Living with Amanda / It’s Anna Blog / Lemon Grove Lane
Yummy! This soup looks delicious Lory!
You’ll love this one Anna! Can’t wait to try yours too!
Yum! I love tortellini and great minds think alike 😉 .. I added pasta too! It really rounds out the meal and ya gotta have a little starch with this. Can’t wait to try this!
Absolutely! I love some pasta every once in a while! Thanks friend!
Looks so yummy! Great minds think alike .. I added pasta too;) It really rounds out the dish. Can’t wait to try this!
It’s a keeper for sure. Add this one to your rotation!