I’m always looking for ways to lighten my meals during the warm summer – enter my Mexican Harvest Summer Salad, which takes the freshest seasonal produce for a beautiful and satisfying meal. Who wants super heavy dishes when it’s hot outside? No one wants to cook for a long time in a warm kitchen only to feel bloated and overloaded after your meal. Plus, squeezing into summer clothes and bathing suits is not a fun thought, so this light salad fits the bill for those who try to keep in shape throughout the year.
I’ve taken the best seasonal veggies and combined them for this zesty, tangy summer salad that will fill you up without making you feel heavy. I’ve made this without any protein, but you could easily add grilled chicken or shrimp. My favorite grilled herb shrimp recipe would be delicious here. Also, if you’re short on time, chopped rotisserie chicken can be life-saver! It’s okay if the chicken is cooled – this salad works well for both warm and chilled protein if you want.
Mexican Harvest Summer Salad
- 4 cups arugula
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 /2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons Cotija cheese, crumbled
- crushed tortilla chips (optional)
Zesty Lime Ranch Vinaigrette
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Combine all salad ingredients, expect avocados together in a large bowl, toss. Add avocados last.
- Mix all vinaigrette ingredients together, except for oil. Slowly drizzle in olive oil to create emulsion, pour over salad and toss.
For ideas on how to set a summer table on your patio, here’s my poolside entertaining post.